Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Dreams Do Come True!

*(In my best Sophia, from The Golden Girls, impression)*
Picture this:
The year was 1980something, the place: somewhere in southern California

A little boy watches Star Wars for the first time, and wants nothing more than to have his very own lightsaber and fight the "Dark Side".


Years later, that same little boy is introduced to video games and wants nothing more than to be able to play them anytime he wants, for however long he wants.

The little boy grows up to be a very handsome man, gets married and has two little boys of his own.

He introduces his sons to Star Wars and video games and, inevitably, they come to have the same hopes and dreams as their father.


September 16th, 2008
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed is released, making fighting the Dark Side with a lightsaber a virtual reality.



September 21st, 2008 the father uses his incredible people skills to get a MASSIVE discount on the Wii game, originally priced at around $50.

He brings the game home and prepares to surprise his son.

"B, let me ask you a question"

"OK, what is it?"

"What's the coolest thing your father has ever done for you?"

SILENCE

"What do you think, B?"

"I don't know, Dad. I'm trying to pick something, there are so many cool things you've done. Like feed me and take care of me, and play with me..."

At this point the father whips the game out from behind his back and presents it to his awe struck son.

"Dad, I can't believe it! It's the new Star Wars game!"

"Now tell me. What's the coolest thing your dad has ever done for you?"

"Dad, this IS cool, but it isn't the coolest thing you've done for me. The coolest thing you've ever done for me is love me."


I tried, DEARLY, not to ruin this magical, manly, video game moment by crying! So I waited until they ran off into the living room to play before I let my eyes fill with tears.
My little one, J, is still a bit too young to effectively play video games, so he was content just to watch Dad and big brother battle it out.
It is now Tuesday....and they are still at it! All I can say is, I will not go into the living room while they are in action, for fear I will be knocked unconscious by a Wii remote lightsaber THE FORCE.

9 Helpful Hints:

Unknown said...

awwwwwww! I'm in tears, how sweet! Reminds me of my DH whom lives vicariously through the kids by suggesting the Wii games when I suggest go do something with the kids.

"The Queen in Residence" said...

That was so wonderful, I have tears. Out of the mouth of babes comes the simple truth.

Thanks for sharing that with us.

Elena said...

OHHHHHH!! How precious! My son has recently gotten into Star Wars too. (I even posted about it today. Weird, must be Star Wars Force vibes going around blogland.) In fact, my hubby's b-day is today and my son has insisted on buying daddy a lightsaber of his very own. So cute. Now I need to get my hands on a "massively discounted" version of that Wii game.

Mrs. X said...

You should of SEEN the way he said it. I get teary just thinking about it!

Oh, and can you believe Mr. X ONLY paid $18 for it!?

Michelle said...

That is so sweet! They really tell it like it is!

Oh, and I cry all the time about that stuff. In fact, I cried yesterday in the car when my middle son Logan says out of the blue, "Mom, you're my best friend." I looked at my husband with tears in my eyes, "Aww, I'm his best friend!" Then he reminds me that Logan is 3. But, STILL!

Ronnica said...

Sweet! I think that it would be a lot of fun to play!

Thanks for the encouraging comment on my BATW post! I like reading your blog, too.

Britt said...

Oh my .. how sweet! How did you manage to keep the tears away until they left?

And the game looks super awesome .. the men in my family are huge Star Wars junkies as well. :o)

Lula! said...

Precious memories...truly...

And of course my husband wants this for our Wii. He has all 6 Star Wars movies memorized. And is rather proud of it.

BPOTW said...

How sweet! I'm tearing up just reading about it :) It's so great to know your child has his prioritites in the right place. How did your husband not break down? Oh yeah, he was getting ready to use the Force!

Thanks for submitting your post!

 
template by suckmylolly.com